Junior Research Group - Group Leader: Jun.-Prof. Dr. Evangelos Papaioannou
On photo from left to right: Matthias Schweizer (diploma student), Ulaş Ören (diploma student), Laura Scheuer (diploma student), Sascha Keller (PhD student), Philipp Lang (diploma student), Dr. Spyridon Pappas (postdoc), Jun.-Prof. Dr. Evangelos Papaioannou (head of the group).
Recent and upcoming oral presentations:
-MMM 2017, 62nd Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 6-10 November, Pittsburgh: Efficient Spintronic Terahertz Emitters Based on Epitaxial Grown Fe/Pt Layer Structures
-MMM 2017, 62nd Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 6-10 November, Pittsburgh: Enhanced magneto-optical response in Bi-YIG films induced by localized surface plasmons
-Austrian MBE Workshop 2017, 28-29 September 2017, Vienna: The role of MBE epitaxial grown Fe/Pt bilayers in optimizing the spin pumping induced inverse spin Hall voltage and the THz emission
-Euromat 2017, 17-21 September, Thessaloniki: Magneto-plasmonic meta-structures (highlighted talk)
-META2017, 8th International conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, Seoul: Magneto-optic enhancement in 0- and 2-D magneto-plasmonic structures (invited talk)
Scientific research fields
-Spintronics: Our aim is to control the magneto-electric spin conversion in magnetic heterostructures by means of atomically controlled interfaces. We focus on the spin pumping effect, spin Hall effect and inverse spin Hall effect for the generation and conversion of spin accumulations and pure spin currents.
-Spin-plasmonics: our goal is to bring together the fields of Magnonics and Plasmonics. We investigate the emergent properties due to interactions between two collective excitations: plasmons (induced by optical near fields) and magnons. We aim on: (i) the manipulation of magneto-plasmon interaction i.e. the manipulation of surface plasmon properties through the use of magnetic materials and external magnetic fields; (ii) the manipulation of magnon properties by using localized and propagating surface plasmons.
To achieve our goals, we use our expertise in materials science and in magnetization dynamics. We focus on the epitaxial growth of thin films and multilayers by molecular beam epitaxy and sputtering techniques. The structural and magnetic properties are studied via in-situ structural (LEED, REED, STM) and in-situ magnetic (MOKE-BLS) characterization techniques. Furthermore ex-situ techniques like XRD, XRR, AFM for the structural part and BLS, Spectroscopic-MOKE, FMR, Angular resolved spin pumping, MFM for the magnetic part are in our disposal.
Teaching: University Courses
- Optimized spintronic terahertz emitters based on epitaxial grown Fe/Pt layer structures
G. Torosyan, S. Keller, L. Scheuer, R. Beigang, E. Th. Papaioannou
Sci. Rep. 8, 1311 (2018)
- Role of interactions in the magneto-plasmonic response at the geometrical threshold of surface continuity
E. Th. Papaioannou, H. Fang, B. Caballero, E. Metin Akinoglou, M. Giersig, A. García-Martín, and P. Fumagalli
Optics Express 25, 32792 (2017)
- Relative weight of the inverse spin-Hall and spin-rectification effects for metallic polycrystalline Py/Pt, epitaxial Fe/Pt, and insulating YIG/Pt bilayers: Angular dependent spin pumping measurements
S. Keller, J. Greser, M. R. Schweizer, A. Conca, V. Lauer, C. Dubs, B. Hillebrands, and E. Th. Papaioannou
Phys. Rev. B 96, 024437 (2017)
- Spin-pumping through a varying-thickness MgO interlayer in Fe/Pt system
L. Mihalceanu, S. Keller, J. Greser, D. Karfaridis, K. Symeonidis, G. Vourlias, T. Kehagias, A. Conca, B. Hillebrands, and E. Th. Papaioannou
Appl. Phys. Lett. 110, 252406 (2017)
- Lack of correlation between the spin mixing conductance and the ISHE-generated voltages in CoFeB/Pt,Ta bilayers
A. Conca, B. Heinz, M. R. Schweizer, S. Keller, E. Th. Papaioannou, and B. Hillebrands
Phys. Rev. B 95, 174426 (2017)
- Study of fully epitaxial Fe/Pt bilayers for spin pumping by ferromagnetic resonance spectroscopy
A. Conca, S. Keller, L. Mihalceanu, T. Kehagias, G. P. Dimitrakopulos, B. Hillebrands, and E. Th. Papaioannou
Phys. Rev. B 93, 134405 (2016)
- Light Localization and Magneto-Optic Enhancement in Ni Antidot Arrays
M. Rollinger, P. Thielen, E. Melander, E. Östman, V. Kapaklis, B. Obry, M. Cinchetti, A. García-Martín, M. Aeschlimann, and E. Th. Papaioannou
Nano Letters 16, 2432 (2016)
- Carl Zeiss Foundation: Support program for young scientists : Magnetic Heterostructures
- DFG SFB/TRR 173, Project B07 "Spin+Magnon-Control: Controlling interactions between magnons and plasmons"
- Landesforschungszentrum Optik und Materialwissenschaften (State Research Center Optics and Materials Science, OPTIMAS)
comments to: webhilleb[at]physik.uni-kl.de